Mango's Sunday Brunch


Basking in the sunlight!
Located in Ocean Park, Mango's is an American-style restaurant offering dishes ranging from Asian Fusion, to Tapas and Caribbean cuisine. It's open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and get this - it's dog friendly. Now, this may not be a big deal for some of you out-of-towners, but for dog lovers in the island, it's a rare notion. About a year ago, I lucked out on a Miniature Golden Retriever-mutt (a puertorican sato) from the Humane Society that adores people and children. Wally behaves like a dream... Ok, he's not a saint, but for a dog that's never been to training school, he's a surprisingly happy and composed pup! When we heard that there's an outdoor restaurant close to the beach that serves brunch and welcomes dogs, we had to go.

The place is smaller than it looks from the outside, but it's quite comfortable. It has ample parking, and the outdoor terrace is carpeted with faux grass, giving it an authentic outdoorsy feel. The first thing that got me when I entered was the "dog bar" and the basket of toys for the canines. As soon as Wally happily snatched up a stuffed elephant  I was in love. 


We ordered Passion fruit and Mango mimosas to jumpstart our brunch vibes and boy, did they deliver! There's nothing better than meeting today's eh... morning sickness (if you know what I mean) with last night's buzz smoothly. It's sad that mimosas have to be so expensive, though ($9). Sipping a cold fruity juice with a kick on a hot summer Caribbean morning  is just what the doctor ordered. I mean really, I could be drinking them all day! Unfortunately, those of us on a tight budget have to settle for one (or none). The appetizers are quite appealing, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the Tuna Brioche. It was wonderfully savory, but I found the bread to be a bit too thick, and it completely absorbed all of its potential. The Breaded Eggplant with Manchego Cheese and Prosciutto appetizer on the other hand, was wonderful, and a definite must-have. 



For the main dish: Eggs Benedict. I am hooked! The hollandaise sauce blends perfectly with their spicy potatoes, and to be honest, I'm full after eating just one egg! Not far behind is the Fruity French Toast with some nice, crispy bacon on the side (you've heard of those people who adore bacon? Yep! I'm one of them). What I loved best was the fact that the fruit toppings were berries and mangoes! Gold star! 


The biggest complaint I've seen online (mainly tripadvisor) for Mango's is the quality of the service. Frankly, I'm divided on this aspect. I've been to Mango's Sunday brunch twice: once with Wally, once without. The first time, the staff was really friendly to us and the dog, they even brought him a big bone biscuit and a plate with water. On the other hand, the service was a bit slow, and at one point we even wondered whether the waitress remembered we were there at all. When we got the bill, they'd slapped a "standard" $12 gratuity fee for brunch, which I personally thought was out of control (15% would've been around 9$). The second time, the service was much, much better, but this time there was no standard fee - so I'm still confused as to whether Mango's is charging me $12 just for bringing the dog.

In the end, I can't say much else about the restaurant, because I haven't tried lunch or dinner (yet). I will say that it's a very pleasant place to enjoy Sunday Brunch with family, friends, and even your furry friend. Sitting on the terrace, looking out at the blue sky... almost made me want to stick around for lunch and some drinks after breakfast! If there's one thing that should drag you to Mango's is the Eggs Benedict. fo'sho.

On a scale of 1-5, I would rate Mango's as follows:

Service: 2.5
Food: 4.5
Coffee: 3
Ambiance: 5
---------------------------------------


Mango's Restaurant & Bar @ Ocean Park

Restaurant/Cafe
57 María Moczo St., 0911 San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 (787) 998-8111


Price: $$
Parking: Yes


Comments

Norma Maldonado said…
The photo of the dish is: breaded eggplant pizza, with manchego cheese and proscuitto!! Simply delish!
berryeats said…
That's it!! thanks! I'll fix it!

Popular Posts