Theo's Greek Caffe

Nestled in Calle Loiza, Santurce, in the last place you'd look, is one of the best restaurants I've had the pleasure of visiting in this island. Theo's Greek Caffe, Fleria, is a different kind of culinary experience. The place is small, but really cozy and it has a subtle, inviting warmth to it that reminded me of my grandmother's house, which immediately made me feel giddy and comfortable.

You don't get to have a menu, because Theo, the owner, writes it on a whiteboard everyday and goes to your table to present and explain every item to you. Unlike Cocina Abierta's annoying explanations, Theo is pretty simple and to-the-point; the thing that really got me was the glow you get from him as he explains each dish, his excitement and love for food just gushes out, it's quite infectious! I wasn't (and I'm still not) very familiarized with Greek food, so I really got on Theo's case asking about everything (lol), but he was really sweet and patient.

Everything on the menu sounds awesome, but, you can't eat it all in one sitting (sadly). We tried to order a variety of dishes to get a feel for everything so we started out with Greek wine - and regretted it. It was much like any other fresh Merlot, and too expensive for that matter. But, it was already open... =]


Our appetizer included a Spanakopita, Greek sausages with tomato sauce, and some Greek yoghurt. The Spanakopita was light but very cheesy; a little easy on the feta in my opinion. My boyfriend was loving it though, so I decided I was entitled to hogging all of the sausage with the yoghurt -oh yum! The sausages were good on their own, but to me, yoghurt makes life so much better. I was spreading it on everything, yes, even the bread!

Both Theo and the waiter were very attentive throughout the meal, but not hovering, which I liked very much (there's nothing worse than having some waiters hog your table as if they were itching to get you out of it).

Fleria is not a cheap place. Their dishes range from 19-30$, but luckily I was prepared for it - and yet, although I was prepared for it, I decided not to go for the fancy fish or signature Greek dishes. I decided to order a simple Leg of Lamb with Potatoes. Now, you might think "aww, c'mon, you can have that anywhere!" Well, yes, I could. But I have a strange philosophy: I tend to believe that you can tell the quality of a restaurant by the quality of its simplest dish. On the other hand, I made sure to convince my boyfriend to get the Moussaka (muahaha) - 'cause then we can try it all!

Well, here's the deal. My Leg of Lamb wasn't the most spectacular dish you'd ever find, and yet, it was so deliciously comforting! I felt like I was in one of those Progresso soup commercials where the woman calls her grandmother up at Progesso HQ, convinced that she's the one making the soup. I was thisclose from asking Theo to take me to the kitchen!

By the way, don't expect a big presentation. The food is presented to you just like it would be at any Greek home (or any home, for that matter). Trust me, it won't hurt the taste; in fact, I prefer food this way. There's something about a hot plate piled with comfort food that will make anyone smile and immediately nap.

The other dish, the Moussaka, however, deserves a blog of its own. I cannot rave enough about this dish.

This is quite possibly one of the best dishes I've ever eaten.
Moussaka is a signature Greek dish: sliced eggplant baked with ground beef, tomato sauce, wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, herbs and topped with Bechamel sauce. When it comes to Bechamel sauce, I have a very French palate - very picky. I can't stand it when cooks dunk too much pepper, or nutmeg on it - or worse, when they add garlic to it! Unfortunately some people don't know the difference between Bechamel and Alfredo - but no fear, because Theo most definitely does.

I'd had Moussaka before but... LORD ALMIGHTY! This is quite possibly one of the best dishes I've ever eaten. Everything was blended to perfection -and I believe it all has to do with a well-prepared Bechamel. Good job, Fleria, good job! (claps)

Do you ever watch The Boondocks? There's one episode where they open a restaurant with beds so you can nap after gorging on comfort food - they call that sleepy feeling "the itis." You will definitely get that at Theo's Fleria Greek Restaurant. You can imagine that we had no space for dessert!

I highly recommend a trip to Fleria; especially if you're in the mood to celebrate a birthday, a new job, or a graduation. It's a wonderful, cozy, quiet place where you can relax and enjoy good food and good company - but, don't order the wine. Bon appetit!

------------------
1754 Calle Loiza
San Juan

787-268-0010

Open: Tuesday - Friday 12:00 -3:00p/ 6:00-10:00p & Saturday 12:00 - 10:00p

Sal.pr

Comments

Popular Posts